[Slowhand] Electric Dylan

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Fri Mar 31 05:57:35 EST 2006

>> 1965 Mar - Bringing It All Back Home LP was released. 7 of the 11 tracks

were electric.

1965 Jun - Like A Rolling Stone 45 was released. electric

1965 Aug - Highway 61 Revisited LP released. 8 of the 9 tracks were
electric.

1965 Sep - Positively 4th street 45 released. electric

1966 he tours the U.K. with The Hawks and people are booing because he's
playing electric? <<

All the above are true, as far as I can tell.

However, Bob Dylan's very first public, electric performance was part of his set at the Newport Folk Festival, Newport, Rhode Island, in July 1965. He was NOT booed at this performance. He was NOT backed at this performance by the Hawks (who later became the Band), but by part of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, including Mike Bloomfield on guitar, and Al Kooper on organ (both of whom played on "Highway 61 Revisited," an album that included the song "Like A Rolling Stone"). In fact, I believe that Dylan met the Hawks around the same time, during that summer of 1965.

DeltaNick