[Slowhand] Re: Derek Trucks Saturday Night

Bruce Wilson kbw at mchsi.com
Mon Apr 3 20:03:51 EDT 2006

I strongly second everything Pat said - I've had the pleasure of seeing Derek Trucks perform with the Allman Bros., his own band, and Susan Tedeschi over about a 7 year period. His performance is all in his fingers; he usually stands motionless and expressionless as he plays some of the most astounding guitar ever performed. I still think of him as a young guitarist, but he is already older than Duane Allman lived to be and than EC was when he recorded Layla.

During this time, Derek's playing has consistently evolved at a startling rate. He has huge ears and very deep roots that extend throughout the planet, incorporating blues, jazz, Middle Eastern, and Indian musics; for example, he has covered "Maki Madni," a song by the late Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, on both of his most recent studio recordings. As great as he is with the Allman Bros., he has to be seen with his own band to hear what he is really doing musically. He now plays slide guitar, both acoustic and electric, at such a virtuosic level that every nuance amazes. He has created a unique musical universe of impressive depth and beauty. If you have yet to check him out, the recent release by the Derek Trucks Band, Songlines, is a good place to begin. As the sticker on the front says, "Expect to be transfigured by the holiest guitar in the west."

brooz