[Slowhand] Re: No Subject : Jenny Katz : Richard Millard

Jenny Katz buddy at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 9 08:54:00 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Millard" <millard_richard at yahoo.com>
To: <slowhand at planet-torque.com>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 2:43 AM
Subject: [Slowhand] Re: No Subject : Jenny Katz

I really don't understand messages like this. No one

> on the list is entitled to express an opinion, because

> our opinions detract from your enjoyment of the

> concert? Where is that coming from?

JK: Judging by the responses I have received, your (entitled) opinion is
obviously not the consensus.

It is coming from the unadulterated contention that EC, like all of us, is a
fallible human being who may sometimes miss the collective mark but never
fails to provide at the very least a modicum of genius and at the most, a
performance that electrifies the audience.

> I'm glad you're going to the concerts and I hope you

> enjoy them. I'm going to RAH myself (from California)

> for the 19th and 22nd, and I'm sure I'll enjoy them

> too (well, maybe not Wonderful Tonight).

> But I don't get the idea that being a true Clapton fan

> requires one to passively accept whatever is dished up

> and pretend that we're living in the best of all

> possible worlds. Sure, I'll enjoy I Shot the Sheriff

> (again) and Got to Get Better (again) and probably

> even Layla and Cocaine (again and again and again) -

> but what's wrong with wanting to hear something new

> and different every once in a while?

JK: What constitutes a true Clapton fan? It's a matter of degrees (I say).

I agree you don't have to like everything to be a fan - I didn't
particularly find the Back Home album appealing, neither do I particularly
like some of his personal favourites, however, the odds are definitely in
favour and I just never complain - there is too much to be thankful for.

Again, he is subject to the common human incapacities that prevail in us all
and that old cliché of " ..but you cannot please all the people all the
time" is pertinent.

BTW there is nothing wrong with wanting to hear something new, but it doesn't
make the old unpalatable - hopefully he sometimes performs songs for his own
pleasure rather than just ours and by your own admission, you will enjoy ..
again and again and again! As will I !