[Slowhand] New Setlist: Not an Improvement

Richard Millard millard_richard at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 10:55:23 EDT 2006

Having looked at the Glasgow setlist, I have to say that IMHO things are going in the wrong direction. Maybe swapping Sheriff for Let it Rain is an even trade (although my personal preference between the two would be for Sheriff), but dropping Anyday (not played for a long while) for Revolution and Run Home to Me? I'm gagging. I can certainly understand the unenthusiastic reviews.

On the setlist generally, I don't understand the argument made by a number of folks on this list that we should accept Wonderful Tonight - Layla - Cocaine in every show because casual and uninformed fans expect them, and commercial considerations require EC to design his show for those marginal fans. To me, this is exactly the problem and the thing that most disappoints me - the fact that EC loads up his set with music that he doesn't care about and hasn't played with passion for years and years, because he wants to be more "commercial," and then gets up there and just goes through the motions. I agree that this is what happens, but I sure don't see it as a "defence" of EC - I see it more as an indictment.

Whatever happened to being an "artist," and playing music that means something to you?