[Slowhand] Re: Slowhand Digest, Vol 7, Issue 181

ijwthstd ijwthstd at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 22:30:33 EDT 2006

"Jeez, I guess Cream didn't count for anything.
Nah. Blind Faith, who were
they? Bunch of losers, probably. John Mayall's
Bluesbreakers, never heard of
them. Only thing Derek & The Dominos ever did was
Layla."

Which didn't become a hit/FM staple until 2 years
later, a nice lead in for Eric Clapton's pending solo
career. The other 2 songs are 2 of his biggest hits
ever, along with a solo unplugged Layla. Plenty of
stars from the 60s faded into obscurity without any
hits to keep them in the spotlight.

"If you think Clapton's career or reputation is
defined by Wonderful Tonight,
Cocaine and Layla, WOW, what can I say? I truly
am at a loss for words."

Those 3 as well as Tears In Heaven, I Shot The Sheriff
and Layla unplugged are what his fortune of the last
30 years is built on. These are the songs a large
segment of the ticket buying public expects to hear. I
am sure he understands that. Those who would deny the
massive impact of these songs should be happy he
ventures off the beaten path at all.

"But let me ask you one thing. If you truly
believe that Clapton's career or
reputation is defined by Wonderful Tonight,
Cocaine and Layla, why do you
belong to this group?"

This is the SLOWHAND digest, isn't it?