[Slowhand] Clapton playing New Zealand January 27 2007 (and Australia)

JP Hansen jp at hansen.net.nz
Sun Jun 18 21:59:42 EDT 2006

I can't believe it... He hasn't been here since 1990.

http://www.hbtoday.co.nz/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3689123

Only one NZ concert, then off to Australia according to the report.
______________________________________

19.06.2006

Mission Estate Winery Concert promoters are predicting a sellout in
the wake of the announcement guitar legend Eric Clapton will be
taking centrestage in Napier next January.

It will be Clapton's only New Zealand performance as part of his
massive world tour, which is receiving rave reviews.

When tickets go back on sale to concert club members from noon
tomorrow it is expected frantic inquiries will come in from Kaitaia
to Bluff.

The 61-year-old blues and rock icon, nicknamed ''Slowhand", signed on
the dotted line about a fortnight ago, and a delighted Mission chief,
Peter Holley, and Sport and Entertainment's manager of operations,
Garry Craft, made the official announcement today.

Getting an artist of Clapton's stature was a major coup in what was a
tough business, Mr Craft said.
"January 27 will be his only New Zealand appearance, then he is off
to Australia," he said.

SEL managing director James Erskine said the status of the annual
concert, now in its 15th year, was reflected in its being able to get
hold of an artist of Clapton's stature.

"Artists have told us of the fantastic feeling they get on stage
here," Mr Craft said.

"This concert is unique, it is a total package, and I'm sure Eric
will enjoy it."

The promoters were able to secure an early signing as Clapton's world
tour was bringing him down under during summer. They began
negotiations last November.

Clapton is presently taking a break after a string of concerts in the
US and next month will begin the European leg.

Clapton has been touring with a backing band which includes fellow
ace guitarists Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II, with The Robert
Cray Band as the opening act.

Mr Craft said the lead-in acts to Clapton's Napier concert had not
been finalised and would have to be approved by Clapton's management.

This year's concert headliners, Olivia Newton-John and Chris De
Burgh, failed to fire the crowd. But Clapton's show will be more
closely aligned to what Rod Stewart's, with a mix of rock, blues and
quiet numbers.

The Surrey-born musician started out in 1963 with blues-orientated
rock band The Yardbirds, before joining John Mayall and The
Bluesbreakers in 1965.

A year later, in what was arguably one of the first supergroups, he
joined with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker to form Cream. Iconic songs
such as White Room and Crossroads followed, and adulation for
Clapton's guitar playing was at its height.

He later played with Blind Faith, before shifting to the US and
stepping into the background as a member of Delaney and Bonnie and
Friends. He moved on to form Derek and The Dominos and created one of
the great anthems of the era in Layla.

As a solo performer, he struggled with drugs and alcoholism and
supported the creation of The Crossroads Centre - a drug/alcohol
rehab centre. He has also supported charity and relief-fund concerts.

He is a Grammy-Award winner and has an unprecedented three inductions
into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

It will be Clapton's first New Zealand stage appearance, although he
has visited for trout fishing.

END.

Despite that last sentence I saw him back 16 years ago (his 2nd
concert in New Zealand as a solo artist), and I saw the very first
Mission Estate concert (with Ray Charles) about 14 years back, so it
could be a great road trip down to Napier if I can score tickets.

Jon-Paul