[Slowhand] Stuck in the past??

ollio ollio at mbnet.fi
Fri Jun 23 18:08:22 EDT 2006

Hi all,

OK, I'm in no position to tell anybody, that they're stuck in the past as my own musical tastes seem to be very conservative. :) and stuck badly in the past.

Anyway I think, that The John Mayall's 70th birthday concert was supposed to be a celebration of John Mayall's career and not a guitar show-off for Eric Clapton or Mick Taylor or Buddy Whittington.
The gig was, if I remember right, a charity for UNICEF and I think most of the players understood, that it wasn't a place to try to outshine anybody.
Eric's input on that occasion was great and he aknowledeged his former bandleader and didn't try to steal the limelight from Mayall.

I'm the first one to admit, that Buddy Whittington is a much better guitarist, than Eric Clapton, but then there's those kind of technical wizards in every town. Buddy's playing just doesn't touch me in any way. For me music isn't about blues guitar solos, it's about sincerity, soul and heart.

I love Eric Clapton's music and talent from all decades, but then of course I've heard stupid and uninteresting stuff from him. Many songs from Beano or Cream or Derek and Dominos sound nowadays pretty out-dated and those long guitar-solos aren't anymore what they used to be for me. Then there's of course lots of insignificant songs on the new albums, but on stage Clapton is nowadays better than ever. And this just my opinion, not the TRUTH ;)

His new band is brilliant and makes even the old songs sound fresh, Clapton plays beautiful and sharp guitar solos and sings with his unsurpassed talent.

I hope, that even the Gibson gang can enjoy the show, when it hits the States.

Cheers
Olli