[Slowhand] My 2 cents on Mayall's Concert.

Fabio Dwyer downtownstreets at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 24 20:20:18 EDT 2006

Bringing back the discussion to the original matters, I like this dvd
because there's fine music there. Getting in the world cup mood, it's just
like if my team wins a match, but my favorite player dosn't score any goal;
someone else did it, that's fine. It's not the most incredible Clapton
performance, of course, it's average, with a low mix; but I do believe that
his average (or poor if you want) performance is directely linked with him
not wanting to outshine his former boss.

For instace: How many of you would buy this cd if Clapton wasn't in the
bill? I like John Mayall's (even his singing - ahuahua, NO joking, this is
blues, not opera!), but probably I wouldn't buy that. If it was a Mick
Taylor's 60th birthday with Friends, would I buy it? Nope. Buddy
Withington's 52 birthday - with very special Friends? Not definitely. We
bought it BECAUSE of Clapton. His simple presence there outshined John
Mayall in a way. Maybe EC decided to be just part of the team, like in
Delaney & Bonnie & Friends. Definitely he doesn't need to spoil someonelse's
party showing off to *prove* anything to anybody. I wasn's really expecting
a terrific performance by Clapton before I bought it. I consider naiveness
from anyone who did it.

You can say that Clapton was extraordinaire on Bob Fest. Ok, I agree, but
how many ultra-star guests went there? There were people at the same level
of fame as Clapton that day, even Bob Dylan is a much bigger star than
Mayall (although Mayall is a better singer than Bob:-), so it's a different
case, things were even at that day.

That's it, let's try to not get this personal / offensive, by doing this all
the good arguments are worthless.

Cheers (speccially to my aussie friend Grant Abt, who last year predicted a
match between Brazil X Australia, very good game, mate, we're both in the
Round of 8!)

Fabio