[Slowhand] Victim....or the Crime...?

An English Boy peter_dennis_blandford_townshend at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 26 12:17:13 EDT 2006

>From: "DeltaNick" <deltanick at comcast.net>

>The truth is, John Mayall simply LOVED Eric Clapton's guitar playing. He

>didn't think of Clapton's guitar playing as "outshining" him, but as the

>passionate expression of a guitarist, an expression of blues. The more

>passionate, the more Mayall loved it. And Clapton was the ONLY one to whom

>top and equal billing went. The artists on the album "Blues Breakers" are

>listed as "John Mayall With Eric Clapton." Mayall did that. Mayall never

>did that again.

>Now, Fast Forward to 2003. Does anyone REALLY believe that had Clapton

>played passionate, expressive guitar, on the "70th Birthday Concert,"

>Mayall would have been offended? I SERIOUSLY doubt it. I believe that

>Mayall would have considered it the HIGHEST, the ULTIMATE compliment.

>Clapton pretty much downplays guitar nowadays. Yes, there are exceptions,

>but they are few and far between. As I've written several times before. I

>don't think that Clapton puts as much of himself into his guitar playing

>nowadays, and he hasn't done so much in the past 35+ years as he did

>earlier. He just doesn't do his best at all, in that department. I feel

>shortchanged and cheated. And yes, I "know" that Clapton is "bigger" than

>just guitar. But as a guitarist, he's simply "smaller" today, in my

>opinion. And my opinion is shared by many, many people who are no longer

>interested in Eric Clapton. NOBODY can play guitar like Eric Clapton once

>did, including Eric Clapton.

> DeltaNick

-=-=-=-

.................and though I have agreed with most of the opinions of DN's
regarding
Clapton's guitar playing....I wonder.....is he really a victim of his
youthful prowess
and groundbreaking musicianship.....or is he committing a crime by refusing
step up and do what we all (*I*) know he *is* capable of, and put all the
nay-sayers
back to studying their "How to Play Guitar for Beginners" instructional
books, and
get on with it???

Is it just too much effort?

If so, that is a crime....!