[Slowhand] Re: A Criminal?

ollio ollio at mbnet.fi
Mon Jun 26 14:36:38 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I think Eric Clapton was very tired of the virtuoso bullshit (as he called it) already in 1968 and decided to step away from the competition. As DN has so weightily pointed out :) Clapton has chosen to downplay the guitar compared to the 25 minute solos during Cream and the guitar God stance of the 60's.
He has even stated, that guitar has lost a lot of it's significance as a soloinstument compared to the 60's. After seeing himself playing on the Crossroads Festival DVD he said, that he doesn't want to see anybody to play that much guitar, let alone mr. Clapton :).

So yes, it seems, that his preferances are nowadays in different areas. I'm sure he has lost a lot of followers because of his choices, but then lots of people love to see the changes. I'm one of them.
I think Clapton was right in 1968 when Cream broke up and Clapton wanted to go back to songs insted of monster guitar solos. I'm sure I've would have lost interest in him if he had just stayed there churning out those blues rock solos, that were played to death already in the 1960's. I'm sorry, but that's just my opinion, I was there already then and the copycats really killed the genre with their overplay and nowadays when a "boogie session" starts I usually walk away...

So Clapton has made his artistic choices and that has made him a multi millionare and a superstar, that hundreds of thousands go to see during this world tour.

He has lost a lot of old fans in the process, some accuse him of crime, some call him a renegade and whatever possible. Clapton has been one of the most abused musician of this last 40 years, but also one of the most praised and admired. He seems to be a very happy man and content musician nowadays.
The new show is wonderfully rocking, full of fantastic music and great guitar work.

I'm very happy, that I can enjoy all aspects of Clapton's unbelievable and versatile career.

Cheers
Olli