[Slowhand] Re: WEED OPEN: D&D LAOALS (Mickboy Remaster)

ToeKneeF slowhandnj at comcast.net
Tue Jun 27 18:16:51 EDT 2006

Carey, I have to strongly disagree with your assessment. I too have a
mid-range audio system Pioneer VSX-D711 Surround-Sound Receiver. I am
putting the output through 5 JBL Century L-100 speakers and a KLH
sub-woofer. The CD player is a Pioneer DV 563A SA/DVD player. I too
made my comparison vs. the Anniversary Edition. I found the boosted
levels and re-equalization helped punch up the guitars and cymbals. Not
only did Mickboy cleanly boost the upper register, he also boosted the
bottom end (a bit too much for me) cleanly without muddying up the
mid-range!

The guitars certainly stand out more (HF boost?) but sibilence is also
worse.........I didn't hear that, I found the boost was accomplished
quite cleanly.

The bottom end seems muddier compared to the CD.........Must STRONGLY
disagree

The sound appears "coloured" - hard to describe this one.......again, I
found the re-EQ was accomplished quite cleanly

Stereo separation improved?..........hard to say. I can't say if the
appearance of improved separation isn't due to the bringing forward of
the guitars and bass.

Overall, the sound seems "harsher" - I suspect this will not be as easy to
listen to over the longer term........I did not "hear" that

Better? Worse? I'll reserve judgment until I've had a chance to listen
more extensively.........Like anything else this will come down to
personal preferences. Since I like a punchier sound (I typically boost
the high end at home and in my car), I like the sound of this
set...........I, for one, will be playing this often

Thanks again to John for making this possible...............DITTO,
thanks to John AND MickBoy for this fine artifact.....................T

--
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted;
the indifference of those who should have known better;