[Slowhand] EC's Contemporary LIVE Playing

Marlene marlene1115 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 28 11:54:16 EDT 2006

John Whitney said:
He is now genteel, and good for him. Some of us
may yearn for a return to the axe of yesteryear, but it likely will not be

Delta Nick said:
He used to perform like his life
depended on it. That ain't happened, it seems to me, in a LONG time.

Yesterday I watched a bootleg DVD of EC's MSG show from June 29, 2004, two years ago tomorrow. From beginning to end, he played with passion and intensity, accuracy and beauty. The way he was sweating was hardly genteel, and if that wasn't performing "like his life depended on it," you'd only be satisfied if he actually had a heart attack on stage! I'm not saying this performance was typical of the 2004 tour, but the show I saw in Philadelphia on June 26, 2004 was also great and people have raved about many other shows from that tour. There are great recent performances, audio and some video, freely available if you seek them out. I have downloaded many from dimeadozen.org. If you haven't heard these shows, you aren't qualified to say how EC hasn't played for a long time.

Marlene