[Slowhand] Re: Delaney mix of LAOALS

Luke Pacholski lukpac at lukpac.org
Thu Jun 29 11:45:42 EDT 2006

Shanahan, re:

> Does anyone know why Delaney's mix of LAOALS was dropped for the official

> release?

> I know the brass section was a little 'in your face', but I felt the album

> really needed it as Eric's guitar prowess was starting to wane considerably.

> The talk around Miami at the time was that Eric was after that fat horn

> sound that Mayall achieved on Beano.

> In fact, the working title of LAOALS for the first few weeks was 'Son Of

> Beano'.

Am I correct in assuming you mean "Eric Clapton", rather than Layla?
Delaney had nothing to do with Layla. And "Eric Clapton" was done in LA,
not Miami.

Why wasn't Delaney's mix used? Confusion, perhaps? It seems Atlantic
wasn't happy with Eric's mix, but I've never heard anything about
Delaney's mix. Interesting that it was *Eric's* mix used in error on some
copies of the LP, not Delaney's.

Luke