[Slowhand] TedNugent

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 1 14:22:51 EDT 2006

Thanks, Sam - long time no-talk-to, for the JoeBonamassa thread courtesy of Ted (you-certainly-have-a-way-with-words) Nugent, the only person whose "Behind the Music" story left me liking him LESS after viewing it. Politics and personality aside, Ted is a pretty dynamic guitar player and performer. One golden-moment-of-yore that I recall (amazingly) was a rock festival I attended in the summer of 1972 (gulp) at Bull Island on the Wabash/Ohio Rivers (I think). TedN & the Amboy Dukes played at dawn! The sun rose behind the stage as they played "Journey to the Cntr of Your Mind." Thirty-four yrs have blown by, and I remember this moment well - flaming archery exhibition and all! Joe Bonamassa has been in the Bay Area and been in the KFOG studio more than once for impromptu sessions - also, on their anual, eoy "Live From the Archives" compilation. He is an amazing talent, and I look forward to seeing him play live some time soon - but, presently, we are still basking in the
afterglow of MK&ELH's fantastic performance last night at the Greek in Berkeley. That we were in the second row didn't hurt. If I had hair on my back, it would be still standing. Wow!
Cheers all!
Mel
Danville, CA

Sam wrote: "Ted Nugent on Playing at the Sand Dollar
Ted Nugent played an impromptu blues jam at the club on Feb. 25. Here's what he had to say about it, 'Last night, my musical jihad grew even more hair on its scrotum, because I got to jam onstage, no band, just a couple of Les Pauls and a kid named Joe Bonamassa, a white kid from New York. It was just us onstage, and this little white prick, and this older white prick, continued to pretend we weren't, in fact, white at all. This kid deserves to be in the same class with Stevie Ray Fucking Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck. It was really inspiring. So this kid and I had maybe 40 minutes of exchanges of notes that don't exist, guitar sounds that are brand new, and soul and emotion that can only go back into the glow of the B.B./Albert/Freddy King world.' "