[Slowhand] RE: A Civil Debate 1&2

Jason Lynch jalynch_80 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 11 14:10:33 EDT 2006

Well Nick, you've put a lot out there. Fortunately, when you have a job the
consists of reading for the entire day, there is time to listen to music,
which is what I have been doing all today, so that I might continue this
discussion.

>First of all, I would list Eric Clapton's initial "great guitar" period as

>1963-1970, possibly until 1971, when EC went into self-imposed hibernation

>and heroin-induced stupor. I count nine years, if you include 1971, or

>eight through 1970. This period includes Clapton's membership in the

>Roosters, Casey Jones & The Engineers, the Yardbirds, John Mayall And The

>Bluesbreakers, Eric Clapton And The Powerhouse, Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney

>& Bonnie And Friends With Eric Clapton, Derek And The Dominoes, and even

>his first solo album. In any case, this 8- or 9-year period is twice as

>long with what I consider to be his second "great guitar" period of

>approximately 4 years: late 1992 through early 1996.

I think we'll have to split the difference here. I went back and listened to
some Yardbirds stuff. It had been awhile. I don't listen to it often
because, wuite frankly, I think the songs are terrible. What I found was
that his early Yardbirds playing is unspectacular. However, somewhere around
his mid-point with the group, I think he figured it out, so I'd be willing
to say his prime period started in 64-65, but I can't go back farther than
that as the playing just doesn't impress me. Mind you, I wasn't alive when
the recordings came out, so I can't accurately judge how important they may
have been. However, there are plenty of Chess recordings that predate the
early Yardbirds stuff that I find much better than Clapton's playing at that
stage. I would also extend the second period to start in late 1989, with the
Journeyman sessions.