[Slowhand] Re: Bluesbreakers

Scott Peterson avalanchescott at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 11 14:17:30 EDT 2006

I asked:

>> Does anyone know the genesis of the "Day Tripper" quote in "What'd I

>> Say"? I've always loved that bit, but it seems somewhat incongruous given

>> what purists Mayall and, at that time, Clapton are/were thought of. My

>> knowledge of Mayall is pretty spotty, however, so was adding a bit of recent

>> pop hit not as out-of-line for him as it might seem at first glance? Or is

>> it something to which he only acquiesced because EC wanted it?

Toe Knee F replied:

> I agree that they were blues purists, but Clapton was a fan of the

> Beatles........in Roberty's "Complete Sessions" EC says of "Beano", "It was a

> record of what we were doing every night in the clubs, with a few contrived

> riffs we made up kind of as afterthoughts, to fill out some of the

> things....." It's not uncommon for club bands to throw in a familiar riff from

> a current hit, to get the fans going.........since Beano was recorded at the

> height of Day Trippers popularity it would seem a natural thing to do.

Yeah, I assumed it was Clapton and not Mayall who came up with the idea. And
given EC's friendship with all the Beatles but specifically George, of
course, it's not all that surprising. But I do still find it at least a bit
surprising, given that he'd quit the Yardbirds not that long before because
they weren't dedicated enough to the blues.

Anyhoo, I was just looking for confirmation. So thanks.

Best,

Scott Peterson
AvalancheScott at earthlink.net
http://scottpeterson.typepad.com/