[Slowhand] Re: Gibson at Lucca

ollio ollio at mbnet.fi
Wed Jul 12 03:54:38 EDT 2006

Hi all,
Yes, from the reviews from EC's gig at Lucca, Italy July 7th it's seems clear that mr. Clapton played a Gibson ES 335 during the first part of Little Queen Of Spades.
You can also hear the sound of a Gibson on the wonderful FM bootleg from that concert.

Just my small take on the civil debate thread: I think the biggest change is Clapton's interest in the integrity of the music and making sure everybody is playing for the same goal. It seems, that he isn't so much into self centered soloing, but making sure the band works great and his guitar is just an integral part of the music and songs.
I think the songs are nowadays much better and the music much more varied. A good example is Back Home, what a great piece of songwriting!
Yardbirds and Mayall's Bluesbreakers had their great importance in the 60's, but songs weren't that great and this new music is much more interesting to me.
On the same sentence I admit, that I'd like to hear that beautiful bent note vibrato more often (and some other Cream licks he doesn't do anymore), but then it's Eric's musical choices and I've been very satisfied with them. With Cream 2005 Clapton, Bruce and Baker showed, that the past can be re-visited with pride and fresh ideas and sounds. It's a pity, that the severe disagreements are still there and that saga of Cream 200x is at the end.

Have a sweet summer. (only 19 days to EC's great band performing here in Finland :) )

Olli