[Slowhand] What I'd Say

Steve B airmacks95 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 13:19:31 EDT 2006

What I'd Say is a blues? Is Johnny B Goode a blues? I suppose you could argue Day Tripper was a blues, too. It certainly starts of as a Blues. Bluesy riff, 12 bar progression I to IV with repeating lyrics (Got a good reason for taking the easy way out, Got a good reason for taking the easy way out etc)

Ray Charles was not considered a blues artist in 1966. Of course he played blues songs (What I'd Say is not one of them), but he was an R & B artist who made pop hits.

Who's arguing that Ray Charles isn't "held in high esteem"?

slowhand-request at planet-torque.com wrote:
Someone who likes the screen name Slowhand opined:

> Ironic, someone would find it curious that 'purist' Clapton would quote a

> Beatles song on a Ray Charles POP song.

As DeltaNick pointed out, it's actually a blues. Also, if you don't think
musicians then and now see a huge difference between a Ray Charles version
of what might be considered a pop song and anyone else doing the exact same
song, you're an idiot. Ray Charles is one of the giants of popular
music--that's right, popular music--of the past fifty years and has been
held in enormously high esteem for most of that time. Oh, and did we mention
that it's actually a blues? I'm trying to remember.