[Slowhand] FW: Re: Slowhand Digest, Vol 7, Issue 296

deltanick at comcast.net deltanick at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 13:17:16 EDT 2006

>> Yep, that's exactly my point. A lot of early Rock and Roll is "structually speaking" the blues. But that doesn't make it Blues. <<

I think it was Muddy Waters who said, "The blues had a baby and they called it rock'n'roll.

Well, as far as published sheet music is concerned, it usually says "blues" in the upper, right-hand corner for Chuck Berry and early Beach Boys songs. Got any other way to define the blues? If so, many other blues lovers will probably disagree with that definition.

I know exactly what you mean. But there's no other commonly-accepted definition, other than the structural one: a 12-bar with a I-IV-V chord progression. I will go this far: it's A way to define "blues."

DeltaNick