[Slowhand] Definitive Versions

Martin Turner martukemun at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 17:44:00 EDT 2006

There have been many live recordings going around, and some compilations,
including the excellent DVD Vol1. Another compilation that would be
fantastic (if anybody took the time and effort to compile it) would the "The
Definitive Version" compilation. By which I mean the "best" live version of
classic Clapton songs. For example there have been many brilliant live
versions of Sheriff from recent tours - which one is the best. On the other
hand, I'm not sure I've ever been completely thrilled with any live solo in
Layla (in my somewhat limited live bootleg library). Obviously this would be
a highly subjective list - but it would throw up some interesting
collections of live performances.
If I was a more avid collector of live EC concerts I would happily do it
myself, but I have to admit that my collection is patchy at best (I've only
just got a CD burner and broadband at home, so I'm catching up slowly).
Anyone fancy to put a compilation of their definitive live versions of EC
songs? The only thing I'm worried about is not having enough versions of
Wonderful Tonight to choose from.

Martin