[Slowhand] Re: Lossy Vs. Lossless

ToeKneeF slowhandnj at comcast.net
Wed Sep 13 09:51:20 EDT 2006

Tone,

Although my standards are not so low as to accept.............MP3s,
track-at-once, digi-noise, fm broadcast via the microphone in front of
the radio speaker (you busted me up with this one), etc .............I
will accept MP3s from known traders who wouldn't trade any MP3 lower
than 128 kbps. Early in my trading I remember receiving a 64kbps MP3 and
when I complained about the sound quality (tinny would be a compliment)
the trader replied , "Yeah, I know it doesn't sound 'great' but you can
get more music on a CD"!! But really, is that any worse than an audie
that has constant and LOUD wind noise or a conversation nearby that
overwhelms the music, but at least they're lossless. Standards can, and
should, be enforced for MP3s as well as they are for other formats.

If I don't have a particular set, or song, and I can only find it in MP3
or MP4 format and I know it is at least 128/44,100 I will gladly accept
it. I know that aurally, I won't hear a difference..................T

--
"The true danger is, when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients,
and by parts" ..................Edmund Burke