[Slowhand] Re: Standing at the Crossroads

Carey Bird cbird at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 16 23:35:18 EDT 2006

Jon wrote (in response to Ken):

> I think the real issue here is that the average Joe doesn't know the

> difference between an mp3 and a WAV file, I can't tell you how many times

> I've had

> to explain to people the difference between the two. Most don't know

> anything

> about audio/video compression and the quality loss associated with it, or

> simply don't care, therefore it's so widely accepted.

I echo everything Jon says re Dime. But another incredibly frustrating
problem with Dime is well-meaning folk who are keen to share what they have,
but dont understand how to rip and convert their silvers to flac files
without introducing gaps and digi-noise etc. There has been a flood of
potentially great EC stuff on Dime recently, but some of it is just
unlistenable - riddled with drop-outs and extraneous noise. I raised the
issue privately with a seeder recently who, to
their credit, indicated they were not very techno-literate. I suggested some
basic tips and hope that will help the situation. The problem with putting
up substandard stuff is that the trading pool becomes polluted and its all
downhill from there. I'm not gonna mention names because these people are
generous enough to share what they have and I dont want to discourage that,
but ... (vent
mode off).

Regards

Carey Bird

(And PS I'm most definitely NOT talking about the stuff Jon
(Bbanderic at aol.com) has
put up on Dime - its been great. Thanks mate)