[Slowhand] A Recent Trucks Phone Interview

John Mills turbineltd at btconnect.com
Sun Sep 17 05:11:57 EDT 2006

I've extracted the article to minimise your viewing pain!

John
~~~
http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grpress/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-2/115847310492200.xml&coll=6

Gifted young guitarist thrilled to play with Clapton
Sunday, September 17, 2006
By John Sinkevics
The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Face it: Being asked to play guitar in Eric Clapton's band
is like writing a song for Bob Dylan, cooking dinner for Emeril or whipping
up a little painting for Picasso.

The pressure's on, and Derek Trucks loves it.

"It's something I never imagined would come along," Trucks said in a recent
phone interview. "What's interesting with him (Clapton) is that he's got
this personality that you don't feel awkward playing with someone of his
stature.

"With him, there's real humility to it. You feel very much a part of it. I
realize I'm on stage with his band, and I defer to him with any major
decisions. But you still feel comfortable; you don't have to musically
tiptoe too much."

The 27-year-old Trucks, already heralded as one of rock music's most gifted
guitar-slingers, probably doesn't need to tiptoe around anybody on stage,
considering the universal acclaim he's earned as a member of the Allman
Brothers Band and fronting his own outfit, the Derek Trucks Band.

But mounting a much-anticipated North American arena tour and playing
alongside one of his childhood heroes -- the Grammy-winning musician who has
delivered timeless riffs with the Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney &
Bonnie, Derek and the Dominoes and as a solo superstar -- ranks as a true
career highlight.

Trucks joined Clapton's band for European tours after meeting the guitarist
last summer, recommended for the gig by another of Clapton's talented axmen,
Doyle Bramhall II.

On Thursday, Trucks will be on the Van Andel Arena stage when Clapton makes
his first appearance in Grand Rapids, the fourth stop on a U.S. tour that
kicked off Saturday in Minnesota.

"There have definitely been a few moments. It's a little surreal getting to
play tunes with a guy that created a role that I'm in: an electric blues
guitar player," Trucks said.

"There's a certain amount of professionalism he has that is nice being
around and soaking up. He is a professional. He knows what he's doing, even
down to the bands he puts around him. It's nice to see somebody who's
completely on top of their game at all levels."

At 61, Clapton remains at the top of his game, selling out venues across the
United States and Europe with a band that any rocker would envy: Bramhall
and Trucks on guitar, Chris Stainton and Tim Carmon on keyboards, Steve
Jordan on drums, Willie Weeks on bass and Michelle John and Sharon White on
backing vocals.

The vastly influential British guitarist, a triple inductee into the Rock
and Roll Hall of Fame (with Cream, The Yardbirds and as a solo act), has
been performing "electric, full-band versions" of rock standards such as
"Layla," along with other classics from the Cream and Derek and the Dominoes
catalogs, Trucks said.

"They're all just great tunes, that whole era of tunes," Trucks said. "It's
really exciting touring Europe and getting to see those places that I've
never been, but I'm really looking forward to the hometown crowds. I think
there's going to be a certain edge to the dates that I really look forward
to."

For Trucks, the genius behind Clapton's guitar-playing lies in his
restraint.

"There's that fine line of having this edge and being understated at the
same time," said Trucks, who cites Clapton, Duane Allman and Jimi Hendrix as
his strongest early influences.

"That sets a goal for my playing: To be able to be over the top at times or
really shoot for it, but also retain that understated tastefulness. When I'm
listening to him, he'll play an amazing, inspired solo, but I still feel
like there's more to it. It keeps people coming back. That sense of mystery
and restraint is nice.

"When you do overdo it, I don't think you ever recover from that. With him,
I feel there's never a risk of that. He's in complete control, even when
he's musically taking chances or going out on a limb."

Celebrated blues guitarist Robert Cray echoed Trucks' sentiments.

"It's taste. He shows a lot of taste and a lot of restraint. That's what I
like about a lot of the players I enjoy," said Cray, who has been opening on
the tour as well as sitting in with Clapton's band on songs such as
"Crossroads" and "Old Love" (which he co-wrote).

"It's a great band. It's a good show. Eric puts himself with the people he
plays with. He's not standoffish or anything like that."

Trucks also helped record tracks for Clapton's
as-yet-unfinished-and-unreleased solo album. The Clapton projects have added
to a hectic schedule that already included releasing a new Derek Trucks Band
album early this year, touring with the Allman Brothers and spending time
between gigs with his wife, singer Susan Tedeschi, and family.

"I'm pretty sure my band will be the focus as soon as things slow down," he
said. "Maybe we'll do a tour with Susan. There's a lot of ideas floating
around. I try not to think too far ahead."

For now, Trucks is focused on getting increasingly comfortable as a member
of Clapton's band. He said things really started to click at the end of the
first leg of the band's European tour.

"I remember one moment looking over and, for the first time, I felt like it
was a real band," he said. "Once you get over the initial shock and surprise
of being part of it ... that's what's exciting."

Eric Clapton
When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday
Where: Van Andel Arena, 130 W. Fulton St.
Opening act: The Robert Cray Band
Tickets: A few $55 seats were available last week; arena box office,
Ticketmaster outlets, 456-3333, ticketmaster.com
Send e-mail to the author: jsinkevics at grpress.com