[Slowhand] Raleigh

Steve Proctor drpr at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 16 13:42:34 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

Just back from last night's Raleigh show with a few thoughts:

1) The Setlist:
Pretending
I Shot The Sheriff
Got To Get Better in a Little While
Old Love (with Robert Cray)
Anyday
Motherless Children
Back Home
I Am Yours
Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
Running On Faith
After Midnight
Queen of Spades
Further On Up The Road
Wonderful Tonight
Layla
Cocaine
Encore: Crossroads (with Robert Cray)

2) This was my 30th EC concert and I still managed to hear a total of SEVEN songs I have never heard live. And only one was from the Back Home album.

3) The bootlegs I have heard do not do the live performance justice.

4) He played a sunburst Gibson ES-335 during "After Midnight," "Little Queen of Spades" and "Further On Up The Road."

5) EC spread the guitar duties around, but did more than his fair share.

6) The previously-recognized predictors of a good show (a smokin' "I Shot The Sheriff" and movement of his left leg) remain valid. This was a great show!

7) The first solo of "After Midnight" was the high point of the show for me. It was as if he were trying to make up for all the years he has ignored this song!

8) Other high points: "Motherless Children" (the song that turned me from fan to fanatic) with its 3 slide attack, the slow blues numbers (a 14 minute "Little Queen of Spades" and "Old Love"), "Anyday" and finally getting to hear "Further On Up The Road."

9) Disappointments: "Got To Get Better in a Little While" didn't live up to the 2004 versions. I miss Nathan East on this tour, but this rhythm section works well. "Wonderful Tonight" will always be in the setlist. because it was a huge hit that causal fans want to hear it. I don't mind hearing it, but here's my beef: It's position between "Further On Up The Road" and "Layla" totally kills the momentum.

10) I hope someone taped the show, but I doubt it. We had to walk through a full fledged metal detector to get in. And yet, cameras could be taken in and security did not stop anyone from taking pictures. Mine will be posted to www.slowhand.net soon.

See ya in Charlotte!

Steve