[Slowhand] Orlando Show

Calabrio Calabrio at verizon.net
Sat Oct 21 16:03:53 EDT 2006

Excellent show. I thought it was possibly the best show Clapton has done within the 15 years I've been seeing him live. Those 2hrs and 15 minutes flew by.

What I particularly liked was that it wasn't as polished as some of the other shows, but there was a relaxed quality and a seemingly more interest in experimenting and competing amongst each other in the band. There was the distinct sense everyone, including the keyboards and rhythm section were playing off each other.

Derek is an excellent addition to the group and all of the changes are really motivating and pushing him. And I was thrilled to hear some of the great Derek and the Domino tunes last night.

I'm a fan of Doyle Bramhall II solo, but he does not sign in this setting. When he's fronting a band, he sounds like a decent guitar player. But when you put him next to Derek Trucks, and then next to Eric Clapton, he really seems out of place. He's overly reliant upon his effects pedals. The first few songs were distastefully awash in wah. His best solos were the relatively cleaner toned ones performed on his Les Paul.

Unfortunately for a lot of us in audience, an accident on I-4 caused virtually everyone coming from the West coast to get tied up in traffic and miss the Robert Cray set.