[Slowhand] Six Degrees ...

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 3 00:37:33 EST 2006

[DH] "For the record, I disagree strenuously. If I were to moderate
content here, the first task would be to setup strict guidelines for
what is, or is not, "related". That's hard, first of all, because I
don't want to have to say that, for example, a note about Peter Green's
Les Paul isoff-topic, because I'm sure someone found it interesting, and
it's "close enough" for me."

-----------

Understood ... personally, I do prefer pretty wide ranging discussion,
as the more interesting people I know rarely confine themselves to one
topic. I'll be the first to admit that when I speak to or hang out with
some of my SD friends, the topic only rarely turns to EC !

With that said, I do feel obligated to point out that, in fact, (correct
me if I misremembered), it was *you* Dave, who introduced me to the
concept of "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" in a SD post, and therefore the
EC > Peter Green connection is only one degree (Mayall), yes?

I just remembered the post because before I had seen it, I had no
knowledge of the concept! [insert witty and obscure "six degrees of EC"
post here, that will dazzle and delight SD members who would not have
thought of it ... personally I don't have one <g>]

-----------

[DH}

It may not be common knowledge, but if for some reason your delivery
is inconsistent, every single message from the last three+ years is in
the web-based Archive at...

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/slowhand/

----------

[AG} Amen, and thanks ... a welcome change, and nice. Although we did have that problem with a chunk of a year missing ... for anyone who cares I do have those issues stored in email backups so could probably pull them out if necessary.

----------

[Jeff E.] "This points up the fact that the Digest as it stands is (I say this
with no malice whatsoever) a bit of a technological dinosaur. An email
based list poses problems of various sorts such as getting bounced by
spam filters, not to mention just being cumbersome and time consuming,
depending on how well it works with one's email setup.

A web based discussion board might actually breathe a lot of life into
the old forum. It would also make the archive more readily
accessible. Check out the following links to see some examples:

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/Forum/yabb2/yabb.pl

http://www.18watt.com/"

---------------

[AG] Maybe I'm the dinosaur, I've noted that some lists seem to be moving to the web-based route. Personally I really dislike web boards, mainly for two reasons:

1) It takes a lot longer to read, having to click on message after message etc. I read .... FAST ... and can skim an email digest far faster than I can click on that many posts etc.

2) Perhaps even more importantly, the thing about an email list, is that it comes TO you. We all have lives, get busy, etc. and it's so easy NOT to go to even a site that you enjoy.

Case in point, I love *both* those sites you posted ... and haven't visited in a year or more. There were time periods, where I'd be on Doug (Hoffman's) board every day, as well as the TDPRI, the Fender Forum, Les Paul Forum, etc. But it's just too tedious to keep up with for me.

Another example, I regularly read the Eric Johnson discussion list (Digest), they moved it to a web-board format a couple years ago and I haven't been on since. I'm interested, and would gladly skim a daily digest if it was offered.

Again, just .02 from a different point of view.

Now, for anyone who has made it this far in my post, a reward for your suffering:

We've discussed before about how EC really stretched out of his normal playing style with the "Legends" on tour in 1997, and this is probably my favorite track from that tour. Features great playing all around, but EC's solo is very ... well, very "non Claptonesque". Listen to EC's lead break a few bars in where he goes into a thing I have *never* heard him do before or since. It always reminds me of Carlos Santana's solo at the legendary L.A. Forum show from 1975 :

http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/snakes-vienne.m4a

And this one another favorite from that tour, it's just SO funky. Joe Sample could just bottle that tone and sell it - sign me up for a case!

http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/put-it-snakes.m4a

Cheers,
AG