[Slowhand] EC, JJ Cale & Mark Knopfler On Tony Joe White Album

Sandra K. Anderson ska946 at northwestern.edu
Wed Dec 6 13:17:05 EST 2006

Spotted an article in the Chicago Sun-times this morning about Southern
singer/songwriter Tony Joe White who is currently touring behind his new
album "Uncovered." Guest artists include Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler,
Michael McDonald, J.J. Cale and the late Waylon Jennings. EC recorded
vocals and guitar for a new version of White's "Did Somebody Make A Fool
Out of You."

An excerpt from the article:
"Getting these five men together was to me like such a powerful thing where
I might just sit back and go fishin' for a while afterward," says White,
who has been touring heavily behind the disc, including a gig Thursday
night at Schubas (in Chicago). Guitarists Clapton, Cale and particularly
Knopfler all share White's minimalist philosophy.

"It proves itself over and over through the years," White says. "Years ago,
I learned that my 20-something licks could be reduced to three. It was so
beautiful with Clapton. He did five takes and said, 'I'll sleep on it
tonight and really do it tomorrow.' The next day, he took out about
three-fourths of his guitar. That's the same way Knopfler works. He and
J.J. leave that breathing room in there."

Here is a link to the complete article:
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/music/poprock/161187,CST-FTR-wwwhite06.article

Track listing on the "Where's Eric" site:
http://www.whereseric.com/discography/guest-sessions/tony-joe-white-uncovered.html