[Slowhand] On This Day in EC History ... December 13

Almighty Geetarz almighty_geetarz at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 07:12:33 EST 2006

On this day in 1991, George Harrison finished the last of three stops at
Osaka's Castle Hall with EC and his band, before moving on to Tokyo and
the end of that all-too-short tour. The Osaka show, to me, may be the
best of the lot. Listen and decide for yourself. These are from the
Electric Monkey release, "God, Dark Horse, and Legends".

http://www.geetarz.org/reviews/clapton/1991-12-12-osaka.htm

I've picked two clips that are favorites for the exact opposite reasons.
The first features EC in full blown "lead guitar God" mode, at his
wailing best. Nigel Tufnel may be "known for his solos", but this shows
EC can probably hang with Nigel:

http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/12-12-god-dark-horse-taxman.m4a

This one's a favorite for the opposite reason. There is a lot of
attention paid to lead guitar playing, and most players spend an
inordinate amount of time on that. But a song falls apart without a good
rhythm, and not only was this a *tight* band, but pay special attention
here to EC's rhythm work as he switches between tight little fills and
chord duties. It's an example of the type of playing that may not be
instantly obvious if one is just listening casually, but if it were
removed, it would change the whole character of the performance.

http://www.geetarz.org/tunez/12-12-god-dark-horse-what-is-life.m4a

Enjoy!
AG