[Slowhand] George Harrison with EC: Taxman video

Kevin Wilson kevin.wilson at arivia.co.za
Fri Dec 22 03:24:17 EST 2006

Inspired by the Almighty Geetarz making a version of "Taxman" available
for download last week and urged on by the simultaneous arrival of
George Harrison's "Living in the Material World [Deluxe Edition]" (which
is the original CD packaged with a DVD), I was convinced to update my
1991 records of the George Harrison concerts with EC and his band.

Well, for those who don't know, this version of "Living in the Material
World" includes one track ("Give Me Love") on a "bonus" DVD from the
1991 Harrison/Clapton shows, with EC virtually invisible in the
background. So, if you feel ripped-off it's your own fault, after all
you should have looked at the title of the album first. However, that
aside, the track is identified as being recorded on 15 Dec 1991. Great I
thought, I'll now dig out my DVD of George Harrison's "The Dark Horse
Years 1976 - 1992" and see if everyone is wearing the same clothing on
the songs: "Cheer Down", "Devil's Radio", "Cloud 9" and "Taxman" and
I'll have those four songs pinned down to a specific date.

No such luck, the lighting on "Give Me Love" is too dull and only George
and Andy Fairweather Low are in the spotlight. The only conclusion I
made was that George seemed to favour red shirts. But, a very
interesting reveal. The video on "Taxman" has been tampered with in the
following ways:

* Chuck Leavell (on organ) has a magic jacket that is off, then
on, then off...

* Greg Phillinganes (on keyboards) possesses super-speed. (Seems
that his nickname 'Mouse' has other connotations.) In one shot he is
standing to the right of Tessa Niles and Katie Kissoon (on backing
vocals), then is dancing with them to their left and in the next shot is
behind his keyboards about 10 paces away. At the same time he got it
right to take away the percussion in Tessa's hand and the tambourine in
Kate's hand.

* Ray Cooper (on percussion) is certainly an all-rounder, but how
he got round from playing (second) drums for most of the song to
appearing behind his congas playing tambourine for a split second is
difficult to come to terms with.

Anyway, it was good to see George like a school child looking round and
getting off on EC's first solo on the "Taxman". Eric was oblivious to
this - in the Zone.

Kevin

DISCLAIMER:
Everything in this email and its attachments relating to the official business of arivia.kom is proprietary to arivia.kom. It is confidential, legally privileged and protected by law. The person addressed in the email is the sole authorised recipient. Any unauthorized dissemination or copying of this e-mail (or any attachment to this e-mail) or the wrongful disclosure of the information herein contained is prohibited.