[Slowhand] Much ado about nothing...

Apurva Parikh apuraja8 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:25:47 EDT 2007

Why do you like Eric Clapton - plain and simple? THe blues? Singing? guitar
playing? The way he looks?

Any of those reasons are valid and the reason why we are on this mailing
list, Eric has been a professional musician for more than 40 years, if my
math is right.

Think about your career in whatever it is, and tell me out of those years do
you think you performed 90% of the time- up to your potential?
Probably not. Eric hasn't and well, he has set standards so high and if not
met, he is on "auto-pilot", when I think it's old age and just the fact his
abilities aren't what they used to be. Sure he may have a moment here and
there, but it's not because he's not trying.

We can analyze the music and the opinions we have on it, but to me, this
whole discusison about bashing Eric or wondering why his solos aren't like
they were in 1990's, is complelely missing the point. Point being, we'll
have everything we love and hate of Eric on record, the what have you done
for me lately crowd can just listen to FTC or a boot and pretend that Eric
is doing that now.

But like an athlete, painter, artist or any laborer. as you age, you lose
your physical abilities. Eric still gives us much to appreciate, true it may
be less virtuositic as in the past, but the fact remains is that he's
passing the torch to others but keeping himself active. For that, i'll
always enjoy his music.

AAP