[Slowhand] Mayer

Jenny Katz katznik at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jun 30 23:30:19 EDT 2007

EC has chosen to work with Mayer - does that put his taste in question?

While I will go with the general concensus that his early stuff - a la Your Body is a Wonderland - is schmaltzy and lacking in substance, I agree with Jason; his later stuff is more mature, there is the SRV influence and I believe there is genuine talent there, including some good lyrics.

Give the guy a bit of a break - most unknowns have to start somewhere to gain a following, and the pop arena is a good place to establish a name, which provides the platform for going in the direction they really want to - didn't EC do the same? Invariably, the real talent only emerges with time and age - he's relatively young, he's starting to appeal to a different audience (although unfortunately, he hasn't shaken the screaming sub-14 year olds yet) and personally I think he appeals to a wider audience than just the "yoof" (thank you Mike - long time ... how are you?)

My 22 yr old daughter introduced him to me a few years ago, I have in turn introduced him to my contemporaries, all of whom really appreciate his music.

There shouldn't be the comparison between him and EC/Doyle/Derek or any other, it's a matter of broadening one's spectrum, embracing different styles and acknowledging one's own preferences. We saw the earlier debates about Trucks vs EC on this tour - all of them superfluous. At the end of it all, it is a matter of taste. For me, no-one will ever usurp EC as the greatest, but I can still enjoy the other offerings out there. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Oh, and as for Jessica Simpson - no-one is infallible, even JM. His musical talent is not determined by his choice in relationships - even if she is a fluff head.

End of rant
Jenny