[Slowhand] My ever-expanding wish list

Steve Proctor drpr at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 21 12:32:19 EDT 2007

> Its official, dr proctor's guess that EC will join john

> mayer on good morning America on Friday 7/20

> is a go!

Between this and the Susan Tedeschi prediction, I seem to be having good luck predicting things on this forum that eventually come true. So, please indulge me for a moment while I pull out all the stops:

A MATHEMATICAL-STYLE PROOF FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT: Jack Bruce has said he had "agreed recently to play an unspecified show or shows later this year with guitarist Eric Clapton and drummer Ginger Baker." He referred to a specific, yet unspecified date or dates when he said "It's a bit later than that (the Live Earth concerts)." Meanwhile, Clapton has stated that after the Crossroads Guitar Festival, he plans to take a year or two off.

Let's assume that both of these statements are true. Only two Clapton performances are scheduled before he takes off for a year or two, the "Corporate Concert" and the Crossroads Guitar Festival. If Bruce and Clapton's statements are both correct, one of these events will involve a Cream reunion.

Some have speculated that the Corporate Concert will be a Cream reunion. Personally, I doubt it. A million dollars or so just doesn't seem like enough motivation for Clapton, particularly given his extreme displeasure during the MSG Cream shows. He looked like he would have GIVEN a million dollars to get off that stage. If Cream's final performance is a corporate event, it will be the ultimate sellout. Talk about peeing on ones legacy! I can just hear trophy wives (and husbands) saying "Sure, I've heard of Cream. Didn't they do 'We Will Rock You?'"

Therefore, if the Cream reunion is happening this year, and if it is not happening at the Corporate Concert, it will have to happen at the Crossroads Guitar Festival.

quod erat demonstrandum

Now let me be the first to criticize my own "proof." Jack's statements may be incorrect for various reasons. Clapton may have changed his mind since stating that he will take a year or two off. I will be very surprised if Cream ever reunites for any reason.

And yet, the Crossroads Centre may be enough motivation for Clapton to reunite. It seems likely that there will be a DVD of the second Crossroads Guitar Festival. According to www.whereseric.com , the DVD from the first festival has "gone on to become one of the world's top-selling music DVD's, recently achieving the 8x platinum mark in the United States alone." Clapton has said that he "plans to reconnect with Steve Winwood for a Blind Faith mini-reunion" at the second festival. Can you imagine the DVD sales if it included the final performances of Blind Faith AND Cream??

Hey, a guy can dream can't he? If this is too far-fetched, maybe I can still hope for a surprise appearance by Otis Rush...

Your goofy friend,

Steve Proctor