[Slowhand] What happens in Chicago...

Steve Proctor drpr at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 8 00:49:09 EDT 2007

...stays in Chicago. Well, OK, this story is too good not to share.

I was sitting at an outdoor restaurant enjoying my meal and the beautiful weather. It was pleasant enough watching the people go by. Then suddenly everything changed from serene to surreal. I thought for a moment that my burger had hallucinogenic mushrooms. But no - it actually was Eric Clapton walking toward me.

Not wanting to call attention to him or interrupt him during a private time, I refrained from saying anything to him. I tried hard not to stare as I puzzled over why Eric Clapton and his two companions were standing five feet from me. Then I realized they were waiting for a table.

It was at that moment that I decided I should go on a diet.

I walked over to the group and said "Eric, I'm finished eating. Would you gentlemen like my table?" He replied "Oh, that's most gracious of you!" I tried to thank him for the upcoming Crossroads Guitar Festival but he was already sitting down - in the very seat I had just vacated!

I can now truthfully say that I once warmed up for Eric Clapton!