[Slowhand] CGF DVD

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 21 13:03:52 EST 2007

Overall, I love the DVD - the crowd shots and misc-stuff that was included helped to rekindle the spirit-of-the-day for me. The heads-on-sticks shots, of course, were great to see. I enjoyed seeing the back-lot clips that were included under the Bonus heading on disc two. I also thought that the audio-mix of discs one and two were superb. They normalized the volumes among performances well. WillyN, for instance, sounds better on the recording than he did LIVE that day - from where I was sitting, he sounded faint and uninspired. Albert Lee's performance sounds great on the recording as well - better than it did from my vantage point LIVE. JohnnyW, on the other hand, blew me away on "game-day," and the recorded version just wasn't the same for me. Perhaps, this was so because of the extreme volume he used or the element of surprise - I just didn't expect much from him that day, and boy-o-boy was I wrong. Since we were seated way off in the stands and not
up-close-and-personal, we missed a great deal of the interaction on stage, which seemed like it was recorded well on the DVD. I appreciated the interaction among the players - obviously, there is a great deal of mutual love and respect among these artists, and it showed in their performances throughout the day, and I really appreciated that. Everything SteveW did that day blew me away - amazing... As for my disappointments, they pale in comparison. I would have loved to see more of Jeff Beck's set on the DVD. A Day in the Life, for me, was a highlight, and I can't understand how it was omitted. Since I had not seen JeffB play live prior to this, I was very pleased to see him - and I sure-as-hell won't miss his next tour performance. I noticed that the mix on WDLGTBSS was off with EC's interplay with Derek muted, as Steve has already noted. This was sad because this was a day's golden moment. Eric seldom does this and only with people he loves and
respects, and much of the magic was lost in the ineffective mix. I would love this to have been a 3-disc package but realize that it was a financial decision. Wouldn't a "collectors' edition" of 3-discs be nice???
Happy TGD SHdrs!
Mel