[Slowhand] SG or LP?

Patrick Smith smith.ohlson at delta.telenordia.se
Thu Nov 29 04:00:25 EST 2007

The 335 vs SG debate has me wondering. I have seen the Fool referred
to as both an SG and a Les Paul. So which is it?

Daniel

Answer:

The model was called Les Paul SG (solid guitar) the first two years
of production, 1961 and 1962. Les Paul then changed his mind about
the guitar and pressed Gibson to take away his name from it. Some say
it was due to a recent divorce and he wanted to secure future income.
EC got his from George Harrison, and it was a 1964 SG Standard, later
to be painted by the dutch artist group "The Fool".

1961 Gibson Les Paul SG Standard specs:
complete body style change to symmetrical pointed double cutaways,
thin mahogany body with beveled edges, cherry red finish (refered to
as the "SG" body style). Still says "Les Paul" on the peghead and/or
truss rod cover, but is often called a "SG/Les Paul Standard" because
of the SG body shape. Peghead slightly wider. This model actually
started in very late 1960, at about serial number "010001" (and was
co-produced with the single cutaway sunburst Les Paul). All 1960/1961
SG Standards seem to be equipped with the infamous (crappy)
"sideways" vibrato. Gibson Les Paul Standard discontinued 1963 in
name only (now called SG Standard), see below.

read all about vintage gibson guitars here:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson5.html

Best/
Patrick