[Slowhand] RE; Rory's style is beyond Clapton

gipsj at optonline.net gipsj at optonline.net
Wed Dec 19 10:06:04 EST 2007

I'm having a little trouble following the train of thought here. Some posts have suggested that Rory is more pure because he never sold out while you are suggesting that EC should sell out and become a hit-maker.

>Clapton got weighted down by drugs, now that he's free of them.

He should be cranking out smash hits and waking up the establishment.>

How would being a "hit-maker" wake up the establishment and cause him to be a negative influence? Aren't hit-makers seen as part of the establishment that others rebel against?

How many "hits" did EC crank out in his career? "After Midnight", "I Shot The Sheriff", "Wonderful Tonight" and "Tears in Heaven" come to mind, but he's never been a big hit-maker and I don't see that changing any time soon. But let's take a look at the current music business and see what constitutes a hit. Should Eric be working with Timbaland or T-Pain (see the Billboard charts) or appear on American Idol and duet with one of those rebellious hit-makers. How many "smash hits" have there been in the rock genre over the past ten years? Not many that I can think of.

>I think he's scare to be the negative influence, which is silly. Which is why he drifted into the Blues Music - it's a safe domain. The Old black Blues men created and it's safe harbors in terms of no new development of style.>

I would tend to strongly disagree that he "drifted into" blues music. The blues is the basis for and foundation of all that he had done since the beginning of his career, and is, was, and will most likely continue to be what he does best. I would also disagree that there hasn't been any development of new styles within the blues. Clapton and his peers from the 60's were responsible for an incredible amount of stylistic development of this genre of music and there are many young players taking the blues in different directions. Sounds as if you aren't that familiar with the blues if you believe that there hasn't been any development of style since the founding of the blues.

So I do not understand what you mean by the following, "So what's he doing - he's shooting himself in the foot by not getting back up on his horse. What a shame, too."

Regards,
Jerry