[Slowhand] JB on EC

Kevin Wilson kevinwilson at telkomsa.net
Sun Oct 11 15:42:17 EDT 2009

Classic Rock #133, p.40 | July 2009
Jeff Beck: I know he didn't like the fact that I took over from him in the
Yardbirds and we did great. The general buzz of the band was that they
thought they were finished when Eric left. At my debut with The Yardbirds at
the Marquee I showed them what was what and I got a standing ovation, so
that was the end of that.
Two months after that things took off in the States, which pissed Eric off
big time. I think he was hankering after going there - like we all were.
That was our holy grail, going to America to see the blues players. Within a
week we were down in Chicago looking at Howlin' Wolf. So I think Eric was a
bit jealous on that front. But then along came Cream and he blew everybody
away.
Nowadays he's a changed person. He seems a lot more mellower and happier
with himself. I think he's realised you don't have to be mean or in any way
guarded, you can offer yourself in so many ways. And he's given so much
pleasure with his playing and deservedly got the accolades.