[Slowhand] Crossroads Movie (fwd)

David Hillman hillman at planet-torque.com
Thu Jul 29 19:40:09 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:26:11 -0400
From: Len Moskowitz <lenmoskowitz at optonline.net>
Subject: Crossroads Movie

[I don't seem to be able to post to the list. Post this for me, please?]

Saw the Crossroads Festival two-hour movie last night. Some really fine
performances.

Highlights for me? John Mayer Trio (Pino and Steve Jordan are unbelievable),
Robert Cray (with a weird song that worked anyway), and unexpectedly ZZ Top
(how do they move that way?).

Sound quality of the film was spotty, with the only rally good mix being the
Clapton/Winwood set. In the rest of the movie, you could hear the guitars, but
the rhythm sections had little detail or liveness. Some strange video editing
-- how many times did we get to look at the floor or some rigging?

Weeks and Gadd are a great backing band for EC. Gadd sure looked like he was
getting a workout. Don't EC's backup singers get tired doing all those fast
moves while they're standing there waiting for a cue?

Sonny Landreth opened. Derek Trucks gets a great sound. Ron Wood's sound was
awful. James Burton still has *it*, as does Vince Gill and Albert Lee. Didn't
care at all for Jonny Lang faking the emotion for Five Long Years.

Didn't see BB King except for the closing Sweet Home Chicago. Hidalgo and
Rosas played sidemen and didn't get any solos. Sumlin's wearing his oxygen
tubes. Johnny Winter didn't get even a second on screen. No Keb' Mo' or
Stefan Grossman either.

Warren Haynes did his Joe Cocker voice with the Trucks/Tedeschi band, with
Chris Stainton on tinkly piano patch.

Beck's bass player steals the show again for me -- whew! Complex song and the
trio was tight, tight, tight.

Sheryl Crow's shoes deserve a mention for riskiest piece of clothing.

Len Moskowitz
(Teaneck NJ)