[Slowhand] Protools

Dave McAffee davemcaffee at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 16:56:53 EDT 2010

I don't care too much about what EC uses to record his new album as long as it records the sound of his guitar coming out of an amplifier. And I don't mean some virtual setup either, I'm broke if I want my mexican made tele to sound like a gibson/marshall I'll use my computer, EC should not have to. I don't know much about protools but I believe you can use it to record a straight album without using plugins for drum beats, whistles, pops, honks, horns and that strange whipping sound like on "Never Make You Cry", I hate that sound. In the eighties we blamed it on Phil for the over produced honks beeps and pops. Then the nineties it was Simon who added the drum beats and loops. I've never heard "Retail Therapy" is it good? Both could produce the greatest Clapton solo ever by cuting/pasting different takes, adding notes, overdubs, fixing rythms and speed. But EC doesn't like that, he wants it to be real. So is it time to step up? He has be saying it is about the song for 40 years. He doesn't want to be a guitar hero, So produce good songs, no more "So Tired" or "Three Little Girls". I don't care if he writes them. I don't care if he even sings them but play the guitar. Don't invite John Mayer for this track, Vince Gill for another, give a track to Doyle and don't for get Derek. Well thats half the tracks but don't worry EC will play a killer outro as the track fades out. I don't know if he is still running from Cream like 13 minute extended solos in songs exprovised over songs that lyrically made zero sense or meaning. Or if he is running from the GOD status he attained in his youth. He has tried to convince us all these years that there is "One every crowd". But if this Album is going to be another gospel/reggae/pop album it needs songs that he can and will play live. Even Pilgram with all the protool drums and beats translated into some great live tracks. EC is at his best live he needs to change it up. Like the NBTB days when he switched guitars between songs, told the audience sorry no Layla this time, and played the guitar.