[Slowhand] I Remember Jeep

Jon Maclean Jon.Maclean at lpma.nsw.gov.au
Thu Oct 21 17:59:05 EDT 2010

One of the most frustrating aspects of all this regarding the Clapton releases is that in comparison many other artists' output is generous, not stingy. As I posted earlier, the Phil Collins album has many extra bonus features available for minimal additional cost, and importantly is available to all and sundry, not just selective markets. The new Elton John/Leon Russell (!) set is similar; for a few extra dollars you get a bonus DVD with interview, etc. I think Bryan Ferry has a similar arrangement. No doubt part of the problem is the record company itself. As I see it, Warners does not seem all that interested in building up a long-term fan base, but just in increasing casual sales, which means they are not really concerned with the people reading this Digest. It's all about numbers to them. Which is why I'd be delighted if Eric would be brave enough to bite the bullet and sign with an independent label next time his contract is up for renewal. I don't think he really cares about that aspect too much though. That interview with Johnny Walker gave me the impression he just kind of leaves all that stuff to the execs and he basically just accepts what they tell him in that regard.
And for mine that is a pretty disappointing attitude, especially for a musician who has survived in the industry for as long as he has (largely due to the support of long-term fans, I might suggest).

Cheers,
Jon