[Slowhand] Slowhand Digest, Vol 19, Issue 37

Greg Hilker greghilker at gmx.de
Tue Mar 13 17:44:46 EDT 2012

Daniel,

I liked your honest, from the heart, response. Definitely cool.
I'm 57 years old. I've been listening to Clapton since I was 14 or so.
Eric is the reason I play guitar (and I'll never come close to him in ability).
I also eat-up everything that EC puts out.
I find it amazing that he has so much versatility for someone is supposed to
only be able to play the blues.

I understand what DeltaNick is saying, also.
EC simply burned-up the guitar with the Blusebreakers and with Cream.
He set new standards. Not many people do that.
Eric really hasn't done that either since then.

Every now and then, Clapton lets forth a fury which reminds us that he can still
play with that burning in his belly.
And that frustrates us, because we *know* that he could play that way most of
the time if he wanted to.
But, by his own admission, he prefers not to (most of the time).

I can accept that. Clapton has to make Clapton happy, not me.
If I want to be awed by how well he can play the guitar, then I can listen to
"Beano".
If Eric feels good about playing other types of music, then so be it.
Either I buy it and can accept it (which I do), or I don't buy it and,
therefore, vote against it.

It's not simple. But, everybody on this list is unified with the love of
Clapton's music -- from whenever it was.

Just my two cents,
Greg from Germany