[Slowhand] Great Career Move

Nicholas Aleshin deltanick at comcast.net
Fri Sep 27 21:30:13 EDT 2013

A friend sent me the below e-mail, which I thought I would share with Slowhand Digest subscribers.

DeltaNick

I was watching TV the other night and stumbled onto Letterman just as he was introducing Cher, who I could care less about BUT, I have new respect for her and here is why.

He was asking her about famous musicians she has met in her career and then Letterman asked about Hendrix to which she responded, "yes" she had met him. He then proceeded went to slap on the default superlatives, "you have to say that Hendrix was the all time, greatest guitarist in rock history right?…I mean the greatest." Cher looked at him a bit incredulously and said "well … I ... I would say that there are MANY great guitar players and certainly, Jimi was different, he was unique, he did stuff no other guitarist was doing"… then Letterman interrupted again, "but he was the greatest wasn't he?"… to which Cher again hesitated and said "well again, there are many great guitarists, for instance, CLAPTON … you know, Hendrix was a whole package, it was what he wore, how he presented himself that made him different but there are many great guitarists." But Letterman, being the jerk he is, would not give up, he then said "But if Hendrix were alive to today, he could GET IT DONE right"? to which Cher said with a bemused expression, "I don't know ... but I will say that dying was the greatest career move he could have made." That sort of shocked Letterman.

She was right!

So, bravo to her even if she does look like a wax dummy with 100 face lifts:-)