[Slowhand] The Digest, Maybe a Game/Project

David Hillman hillman at planet-torque.com
Tue May 24 00:55:08 EDT 2016

Ryan Noyes makes me think by writing...
> Just want to pipe-in and say how elated I am to see the SD alive and
> well again.  ...and DeltaNick, I'm in and out of the Pentagon these
> days.  You still there?  Lunch?

    Glad to hear it Ryan.  I, for one, did not know this about DeltaNick...
and it makes me slightly nervous about national security ;)

> Clapton remains a rock, of sorts, in my continually expansive music
> collection.

    This also made me think.  Full disclosure, I just bought new stereo
gear for the first time in a long, long time.  Specifically, I bought a
device that will -- eventually, if/when I get a non-defective unit* --
make it more convenient to listen to anything I own whenever I want.

    Anyway, as a result, I have concluded that my collection is not big
enough.  Yeah, I have a decent amount of music, but most of it I have
owned for decades and listened to innumberable times.  And there's always
the thrill of hearing something new that you like.

    So, I propose the following project/game... if anyone out there wants
to play.  Recommend a specific album that you think people might like.  A
couple 'rules';

 	* Send your rec to ME PRIVATELY PLEASE, not the whole list.  I
 	don't want to swamp/spam the list with a bunch of these, nor do I
 	want a bunch of duplicates.  I will parcel them out daily, or whatever
 	depending on if I get any, and how many, etc.
 	* Plus, I want to be able to go on eBay and buy a copy before
 	everyone has the same idea ;)
 	* NOT Clapton, obviously.  Probably you can skip other obvious
 	artists like Hendrix, for example.  Something that people here are
 	probably NOT already listening to.
 	* One specific album, please.  Artists change styles, release
 	different quality discs, etc.
 	* Feel free to elaborate on why you think people here might
 	dig it.
 	* If you are really bored, draw some link between your artist and
 	Clapton (see below for example).
 	* No 'Greatest Hits' or similar collections, just my own personal
 	bias.  Actual albums, please.
 	* PLEASE PLEASE read rule number 1.

    Since I'm in charge, I guess I have to go first.

    "The Desperate Kingdom of Love" - CJ Chenier

    Probably not what you'd expect from either the Zydeco scion Chenier, or
an album named after a PJ Harvey cover.  Call it swamp blues, for the most
part, largely dedicated to the Gulf Coast which had just been destroyed by
Hurricane Katrina when this was released 10 years ago.  A couple tracks
would sound at home on "From the Cradle", but with accordian, and there's
probably at least one or two here for everyone to like.  They're all good
in my opinion.

    Connection: Stanley Dural, Jr was inspired to play the accordian by
CJ Chenier's father Clifton, and then went on to become Buckwheat Zydeco
and open for Clapton at RAH in '88 (and other dates).

    I hope this works, but if nothing else, maybe I'll get something to
listen to while I re-rip my whole collection to a lossless format ( I
already killed the power supply on one laptop and have barely started ).

--
  David Hillman

* I have to say, at the moment, my recommendation is stay very far away
from Bluesound audio gear.  They look nice, don't work hardly at all, and
the company behind them is near totally incompetent.  It's unclear to me
how they remain in business.  I think it's only because "audiophile"
companies charge insane prices for standard components with a $10 wifi
radio installed.