[StBernard] Insurance law suit

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 17 22:16:22 EST 2005

I am all for the parish council helping us with the insurance matter. So
far everyone we know in Jefferson parish with 6 or so inches of water gets
much more money under their home owners for mold, water damage, wind damage,
fences, pools etc covered than we are getting because only our roof suffered
wind damage, supposedly. Our fence, which was exposed to 170 miles per hour
wind for hours and hours, is now flood damage, because after daylight the
water rose and apparently eliminated the wind and rain damage.
We do have 'substantial' damage to the roof but no contents are covered
because the flood was at least 8 feet high. What about the rain damage prior
to the flood? and the mold which would have grown even without the flood?
Amazing.
Yes, the parish residents do need help behind them to go against this
injustice where people with less damage get more replaced than us.
(yes, I had flood insurance also, but of course that does not cover much).
Oh, and the loss of use is giving us only 2 weeks of cost replaced, in total
disregard of the parish having a phased entry and we were not even allowed
to come back for over three and a half weeks before even seeing the mess,
and it remains uninhabitable. We were supposed to have 18 months of such
coverage but now get only 2 weeks because it is flood. If it was wind, it
would have covered a year and a half to rebuild. What a riot this is.
Thanks, council for voting FOR this lawsuit. Shame on Mr Dean. Apparently he
did not have much damage. I used to admire his wisdom, but cannot agree with
him this time. Cost of insurance goes up anyways, with or without law suits.

Honestly, I would have been better off to put my homeowners fee each year
into a savings account. I would have more cash now to rebuild that way.

Gaby