[StBernard] permit for power

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jan 6 21:13:48 EST 2006

Gabby:

I must be dealing with the same individuals as you. We returned to
Chalmette three weeks ago after receiving a telephone call that our trailer
was delivered and ready for us to come sign the papers. After a 9 hour ride
we found the trailer in our driveway, just far enough so that the gates
can't be closed, with water leaking steadily on the outside from a loose
connection, and found the electrical connection lying on the ground. We
went straight to FEMA (Wal-Mart) and explained our situation. By the next
day, everything was straight except for having electricity. We returned to
FEMA and were instructed to return back to where we were staying (TN), and
we would be contacted within the 14 days allocated to Entergy.

Earlier this week we received a call that everything was in order and all we
had to do was come sign for it. After the initial excitement wore off I
called back to verify the status of electricity and was informed "I don't
know anything about the electricity; I checked the trailer out with a
generator, which you can buy at Home Depot". Since then I have called
Entergy, FEMA, and the trailer company numerous times. Each points the
finger at the other. Yesterday, out of the blue, a contractors pole
appeared, but without the meter. I called Entergy and was advised that they
had no record of a permit, so the trailer company must have installed the
pole. I then asked that they activate the electricity and was informed that
they cannot do that until a permit is issued by the parish. According to
the trailer representative, the contractor's pole would not have been
installed unless a permit had been issued, and that I should call Entergy
AGAIN. The lady was very nice and explained that until a permit is received
in Entergy's office, they cannot issue any orders to activate electricity.
I am getting ready to call FEMA again, but took a break to go through emails
to see what experience others were having. I now know of three of us within
two blocks that simply need Entergy to do their part, and then we can return
home.

I guess the next issue will be the fact that Entergy today cancelled the
second billing account I was previously instructed to establish for billing
purposes. Entergy has advised that a separate account is not needed. When
I asked that the second account remain just in case it was needed, I was
told that it was too late - the second account had already been deleted.

I don't know who coordinates these issues with Entergy, but the process
seems to have its problems. I hope you have better luck that I in arriving
at a solution.
John F Richardson