[StBernard] Point of View- by Ron Chapman

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Feb 20 09:54:50 EST 2006

Point of View

What a wonderful day!

It has been six months since the storm waters of Katrina nearly washed our
community away. As we look around us today we see so much remaining to be
done. Houses abandoned, businesses in ruins, infrastructure fractured,
debris to be removed, and people dispersed.

If anyone had any questions about the spirit of St. Bernard, however, have
no fear. It thrives. St. Bernard's sense of community could not have been
on greater display than on this past Sunday when the Krewe of Nemesis rolled
down Judge Perez Drive.

It was as if nothing had happened. The streets were crowded, the children
screaming for beads, families barbequing on the neutral ground, and laughter
everywhere.

I drove in from my part-time home in Natchez early this week to be certain
not to miss this event. My daughter drove in from USM and met up with her
friends from high school. Family arrived from as far away as Texas to
attend. Our traditional "parade spot" at Hub Auto was again crowded as it
has been for years. It was grand!

There was a certain something in the air. People scanned the crowd looking
for familiar faces, which isn't difficult in a community as tight as ours.
There were screams of joy and deep meaningful hugs as friends met.some for
the first time since that fateful August morning.

The crowds were amazing. For a community that once boasted 67,000 residents
and now houses a mere 8,000 in tents and FEMA trailers.one has to ask.where
did they come from??? They came from everywhere. It was a true homecoming
in every sense of that word.

It is obvious. St. Bernardians love their community and cherish their long
held friendships. Billy Showalter organizer of the Krewe of the Knights of
Nemesis provided us with an opportunity to rekindle our sense of home with
over 200 riders. The parade was a catalyst. It made us all realize that
although our houses may be destroyed.our sense of home remains. For that we
will be forever thankful. We owe you Billy and all those who made this
magic moment possible.