[StBernard] Tour groups

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Feb 20 09:55:38 EST 2006

I have no problems with being put on display for tour buses.
Through my association with the CRC I have had the opportunity to meet a lot
of good people (Yes...I said good!) from FEMA,SBA, and other organizations
who really want to help. Take a moment to talk to them and realize that
they too are trapped in the chaos that Katrina has left in its wake. They
really want to help, but, like us and Alice, "have fallen down the rabbit
hole." Anyway, when I ask them about their impressions, to a person they
are shocked by the scale of the destruction. When I then ask if Washington
has a clue, the response is a quick...NO!!! "You have to see it, breath it,
and live it to comprehend it." they say.
If tour buses bring about a greater awareness of the dimensions of
this disaster that is a good thing. If it opens eyes and increases
awareness of our plight...that is a good thing. If it makes those in the
seats of power in Washington respond that too is a good thing.
But most important...if what we are experiencing here is never
repeated...that is the best thing. That can only be achieved by seeing it
"up close and personal". If that requires tours, so be it. Thanks, Ron
Chapman.