[StBernard] reply to Craig Tafaro

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Feb 20 19:30:36 EST 2006

Craig, by no means did my suggestion on abandon car removal mean to suggest
that the Parish wasn't doing anything. But when there is no status report on
the official parish website, da-parish emails contain nothing but pleas for
abandoned cars to be removed and the tow truck companies say they can't, the
State police tells me it's up to the parish government, the sheriff tells me
it's up to the council, the parish's Community Development tells me it's up
to the sheriff, and the EPA rep who visited my house and saw all the
abandoned cars on the neutral ground of Corinne doesn't know what St.
Bernard is doing, but agrees it needs to be done--- what else can I do but
research a possible solution and throw it on the table of cyberspace?

I am really excited that you and others are near a solution, but gee, why
isn't the parish even telling us that much, instead of "call the sheriff's
office."

So, please tell us a timetable of when we could expect to see a contract
awarded for removal of abandoned cars, if that much can be divulged.

As far as what I should know, I know nothing more than the other citizens of
the parish. The fact that I am a commissioner on the Planning Commission and
Economic Dev. Commission means squat. The Planning Commission meets every
other Tuesday afternoon and we beg for representatives to come to our
meetings and update us and let us ask questions, and no one comes but some
FEMA reps. Econ. Dev. Comm. had a few meetings in Baton Rouge and has not
called a local meeting since, that I know of. Everything I know and the
information I post comes from hours of my personal time callling Entergy,
Atmos, DEQ, EPA, engr.
firms, et al as a public citizen pleading for information, getting to the
bottom of incorrect information, and untangling red tape. Sometimes I come
across an employee somewhere who actual cares enough to be helpful, and
sometimes I don't reach a sympathetic ear. But I do what I can, where I
can, when I can, and however I can to be a good citizen and offer help to my
community and my elected officials.

Deborah Keller
Citizen