[StBernard] MURPHY & TORRES 7% RIP OFF!

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 16 08:24:40 EDT 2006

TO Delambert and St. Jean the Baptist Residents,

Your frustration over this issue is warranted. The 7% is called a set
aside- it basically means that 7% of the settlement or 12% if you have
another attorney is set aside and you basically have to show that the
settlement was not benefitted by the work that the Torres law firm did. I
am not an attorney, so I can not give any legal advice and I am not allowed
as a public official to speak directly about the law suit- each time I have,
I have been warned of court sanctions. So anyway, I am not sure that Sen.
Boasso's office can assist in this matter no more than local government.
This is a federal judge making federal rulings. I have asked how to get
around the 7% issue and am told that it is not an uncommon practice in class
actions and it becomes more difficult as the case moves on to not have to
give the % up.

Sorry about your frustration.

Good luck and God Bless,
Craig