[StBernard] St. Bernard Plan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 16 22:40:51 EDT 2006

17 days til the start of hurricane season. I went to the State Police
website to view the contraflow plan. According to the plan, if you look back
at Katrina, St. Bernard, which is in Phase I evacuation, would have started
at 5pm on Friday (50 hours prior to tropical storm winds which came about
7pm Sunday night) and Phase III evacuation, which starts contraflow and
includes metro New Orleans and East Bank Jefferson,, would have started at
3pm Saturday (30 hours prior to tropical storm winds). I don't think people
in Orleans and Jefferson will wait until Phase III as shown on the plan . I
think majority will leave much earlier than when contraflow starts and it
will create a lot of traffic because there won't be contraflow until the 30
hour mark and the massess willl be leaving well before that. Another reason
people will leave in droves prior to contraflow is because if you live east
of the Causeway, you will bee forced to travel east, even if your
destination is somewhere to the west of N.O.

Not too soon to start making your family's personal checklist. Many of us
found out the hard way that the things we needed weren't with us and some of
what we brought wasn't needed.

ddk